Thursday, November 16, 2017

Sleep

I'm having a long day with too much on my plate. I was just about to go to bed without posting anything when I decided to look up what the Writings have to say about sleep.

First of all, we have this prayer from Baha'u'llah:

How can I choose to sleep, O God, my God, when the eyes of them that long for Thee are wakeful because of their separation from Thee; and how can I lie down to rest whilst the souls of Thy lovers are sore vexed in their remoteness from Thy presence? 
I have committed, O my Lord, my spirit and my entire being into the right hand of Thy might and Thy protection, and I lay my head on my pillow through Thy power, and lift it up according to Thy will and Thy good pleasure.  Thou art, in truth, the Preserver, the Keeper, the Almighty, the Most Powerful. 
By Thy might!  I ask not, whether sleeping or waking, but that which Thou dost desire.  I am Thy servant and in Thy hands.  Do Thou graciously aid me to do what will shed forth the fragrance of Thy good pleasure.  This, truly, is my hope and the hope of them that enjoy near access to Thee.  Praised be Thou, O Lord of the worlds!
Then we have this excerpt from a letter written on behalf of Shoghi Effendi:
"Regarding your question: There are very few people who can get along without eight hours sleep. If you are not one of those, you should protect your health by sleeping enough. The Guardian himself finds that it impairs his working capacity if he does not try and get a minimum of seven or eight hours." 
 I think it's time to take the Guardian's advice.

No comments: